Would You Accept Money From A Friend For Work?

Would You Accept Money From A Friend For Work?

Postby Brian » Sat Mar 27, 2010 12:12 pm

Hi, Everyone.

I've been talking to a friend about building a website (for dog t-shirts). I bought the domain, and she's going to send me the images and prices of the merchandise. Here's my question: Is it wrong not to accept money? I've known her for 18 years (since college), and I know she and her family are kind of on rough times right now, so I don't feel right taking money from her, but I have a feeling she might insist on paying me something.

How should I handle this? Any opinions are welcome. :)
"I guess the winter makes you laugh a little slower
Makes you talk a little lower
About the things you could not show her."

-- Counting Crows, "A Long December"
Brian
Site Admin

Re: Would You Accept Money From A Friend For Work?

Postby Brian » Sat Mar 27, 2010 1:58 pm

lady cop wrote:any chance for barter or quid pro quo (rather than money) that would be fair to both?

I've really never built a website for money before, so I don't know how much I'd charge. At the moment, I'm only into the site for $10.89, because that's what I paid to register the domain for a year. I'm doing the hosting on a free host right now, so that's not costing me anything. She has to set up a PayPal account for herself (because I think it would be simplest for her to accept money through PayPal), and she has to set up a GoDaddy account for herself, so I can transfer everything to her once it's done.

The other reason I'm reluctant to take money for it is that I've heard that when money's involved, friendships can get strained, so if I accept money for this, I'm more responsible for how she actually does in the business.

I've got the placeholder up for the site. All it gives is her e-mail address and the promise of more content to come in the future.

Brian
Site Admin

Postby 24HourNut » Sat Mar 27, 2010 5:22 pm

If it's not a lot of work trust your instincts and don't accept money. Suggest a trade, her take you out sometime, etc.
24HourNut
Contributor

Postby Brian » Sat Mar 27, 2010 9:35 pm

24HourNut wrote:If it's not a lot of work trust your instincts and don't accept money. Suggest a trade, her take you out sometime, etc.

So far, it's not a lot of money. It's not a lot of work yet, either. Mostly it's just been setting up the website presence. The fun part will be adding the PayPal shopping cart features. But she has to sign up for a PayPal account before any of that gets done.

I'm thinking that a fair trade would be her and her husband taking me out to dinner. (I've had a thing for her since college, so I wouldn't feel entirely appropriate going out to dinner alone w/ her.)

Brian
Site Admin

Postby Marie5656 » Sat Mar 27, 2010 10:53 pm

I like the idea of a trade of some sort. Is there something she can do for you?
Marie5656
Global Moderator

Postby Brian » Sat Mar 27, 2010 10:58 pm

Marie5656 wrote:I like the idea of a trade of some sort. Is there something she can do for you?

Her degree is in teaching and her job at this point seems to involve canine apparel, so I can't think of anything off the top of my head that she could do for me (that her husband would be okay with, anyway :evil: :D).

Brian
Site Admin

Postby Boba » Sun Mar 28, 2010 3:40 pm

Brian wrote:Hi, Everyone.

I've been talking to a friend about building a website (for dog t-shirts). I bought the domain, and she's going to send me the images and prices of the merchandise. Here's my question: Is it wrong not to accept money? I've known her for 18 years (since college), and I know she and her family are kind of on rough times right now, so I don't feel right taking money from her, but I have a feeling she might insist on paying me something.

Your time has a value. Now, there's nothing wrong with helping out a friend for free. But I think the best bet, if she insists to do something, is to take you out to a nice dinner.
Boba
Contributor

Postby Brian » Sun Mar 28, 2010 3:59 pm

Boba wrote:
Brian wrote:Hi, Everyone.

Your time has a value. Now, there's nothing wrong with helping out a friend for free. But I think the best bet, if she insists to do something, is to take you out to a nice dinner.

Sounds like a good solution to me, Boba. :)

Brian
Site Admin

Postby scarletangel » Wed Sep 08, 2010 3:03 am

Yes..with no malice, we know were helping each other..so why not?purely business :toast:
scarletangel

Return to Money & Business